Products → Bitter Melon
- Bitter melon, also known as bitter gourd or Momordica charantia, is the fruit of a tropical vine that belongs to the gourd family and is closely related to zucchini, squash, pumpkin, and cucumber. This vegetable is considered a staple in many types of Asian cuisine.
- The Chinese variety is typically long, pale green, and covered with wart-like bumps. The Indian variety is narrower and has pointed ends with rough, jagged spikes on the rind.
- Blood sugar regulation: Some research shows that bitter melon can improve several markers of long-term blood sugar control, including levels of fructosamine and hemoglobin A1c.
- Cancer fighter: Test-tube studies show that bitter melon may have cancer-fighting properties and could be effective against stomach, colon, lung, nasopharynx, and breast cancer cells.
- Heart-healthy: Studies show that bitter melon extract may decrease cholesterol levels, which could help support heart health.