Products → Jamaican Thyme
- Jamaican thyme is a perennial evergreen shrub that is native to South Asia and the arid Mediterranean region.
- The low growing, woody shrub grows in general from anywhere between 6-10 inches and is a member of the mint family. Mature Jamaican thyme can be harvested all year round and has a very distinctive fragrance. The plant also features purple, pink, or white flowers that bees love.
- Jamaican thyme is a very versatile herb and is used in a wide range of culinary applications. In Jamaica the herb can be found in almost every household and is almost always bundled and sold along with green onion, locally known as “scallion”. Jamaican thyme stems can be added whole to dishes; the leaves can also be removed from the stem and used on their own.
- Jamaican thyme is used to add flavor to popular Jamaican dishes such as rice and peas; thyme is also used to season meats, poultry soups, stews, and vegetables. The herb also contains useful oils which can be distilled and sold commercially.
- Breathe easy: Jamaican thyme brings relief from bronchial spasms giving it the ability to effectively treat coughs, the common cold, bronchitis, allergies, and other respiratory problems.
- Take a thyme-out: Jamaican thyme has soothing properties and is used to calm the nerves and treat insomnia. Thyme is also a natural blood purifier as it helps to stimulate blood flow to the surface of the skin.
- No thyme for pain: Jamaican thyme is also used to bring relief from arthritis pains, headaches, muscle pain and stomach aches.