Products → Jamaican Thyme
- Jamaican thyme is the Jamaican strain of the thyme herb used for its culinary and medicinal properties. Jamaican thyme is a perennial evergreen shrub that is native to South Asia and the arid Mediterranean region. In Jamaica the herb can be found in almost every household and is almost always bundled and sold along with another herb, escallion. The low growing, woody shrub grows in general from anywhere between 6-10 inches and is a member of the mint family. Mature Jamaican thyme can be harvested all year round and the herb features a very distinctive fragrance. The plant also features purple, pink or white flowers that particularly attractive for bees.
- Jamaican thyme is a very versatile herb and is used in a wide range of culinary applications. Jamaican thyme is used to add flavor to popular Jamaican dishes such as Rice and Peas; thyme is also used to season meats, poultry soups, stews and vegetables. The leaves of the Jamaican Thyme may be removed from the stem or used on a whole when adding to certain dishes. The Jamaican thyme also contains useful oils which may be extracted from the plant's leaves by the distillation process and sold commercially.
- Jamaican thyme brings relief from bronchial spasms giving it the ability to effectively treat coughs, the common cold and bronchitis. And is also used to treat respiratory problems and allergies.
- Jamaican thyme has soothing properties and is used to calm the nerves and treat insomnia. Thyme is also a great, natural blood purifier as it helps to stimulate blood flow to the surface of the skin.
- Jamaican thyme is also used to bring relief from arthritis pains, headaches, muscle pain and stomach aches.