Products → Okra
- Okra, also known as lady’s finger, is a green flowering plant in the same family as hibiscus and cotton. What we know as “okra” is the plant’s edible seedpods.
- Okra is a perennial, often cultivated as an annual in temperate climates, and grows to around 2 metres (6.6ft) tall. The leaves are 10-20 centimetres (3.9-7.9 in) long and broad, palmately lobed with 5-7 lobes.
- The flowers are 4-8 centimetres (1.6-3.1 in) in diameter, with five white to yellow petals, often with a red or purple spot at the base of each petal. The fruit is a capsule up to 18 centimetres (7.1 in) long with a pentagonal cross-section, containing numerous seeds.
- This green and infamously gooey vegetable is called “okra” in North America, the UK, and the Philippines. In Nigeria and in Caribbean English, it is known as “okro”. in India, okra is known as “vendakkai” or “bhindi”.
- Keep calm and eat okra: The seed extracts of okra have an antioxidant, anti-stress effect in the bloodstream of mice. Managing stress levels is an important part of managing diabetes, as long-term high stress levels can cause blood sugar levels to spike.
- Cholesterol fighter: During the test, people found that okra can change the level of cholesterol to be lower in lab mice with diabetes.
- Energizer veggie: One study showed that eating okra can improve recovery times and lower fatigue levels.