Products → Opo Squash
- This squash is actually not a squash, but a gourd. Its many names include “Long Squash” (particularly in Canada) and “Snake Gourd”.
- Opo squash is narrow, measuring anywhere from 15 to 90 cm (6 to 36 inches) long and 7 1/2 to 30 cm (3 to 12 inches) wide. It can curve in on itself or be stout and plump. It has a hard yellow-green skin that stays tough after cooking, and firm, white flesh with seeds.
- Young opo squash has a flavor that starts mild and sweet, becoming more bitter as it ages. Like zucchini, opo squash is a great vehicle for strong, attention-catching flavors. Choose firm ones, with no blemishes and the stem still attached. Younger, smaller ones are sweeter and tastier.
- Mouthful of minerals: Opo squash is extremely low in calories and provides small amounts of vitamin C, folate, calcium, iron, zinc and B vitamins. It is also rich in fiber and is believed to help aid in healthy digestion.
- Blood sugar balance: The juice of opo squash is touted for its vitamin C and zinc content, as well as for its ability to potentially regulate blood sugar levels.